Moving From The United States To Canada
If you’re planning on moving from the United States to Canada, Alero Moving & Storage have the solutions to help you. With over 25 years of experience helping people safely and securely move their belongings locally, nationally and internationally, Alero Moving & Storage can customize a package tailored to your needs.
Whether you are a business or an individual looking to move across the border, we can facilitate the move through our expert moving team and international network.
Alero Moving & Storage is your one stop shop for all your cross-border moving needs
When you work with Alero Moving & Storage we will be alongside you through the whole process. Our team will make sure you understand the rules and regulations involved in your cross-border move to Canada.
We will also ensure you have all the necessary resources and information to make your transition to Canada as smooth as possible.
What you need to know about moving from the United States to Canada
When making your move to Canada, Alero Moving & Storage will take a full inventory of your belongs as they are packed, and once they have cleared customs, will be place them in your new home. Each item on the inventoried list will checked off as they enter your new place of residence (or work) so you can rest assured everything that was sent was successfully delivered.
When Alero Moving & Storage’s trucks or vans reach the border, the driver will contact you. They will let you know it’s time to report to the relevant customs office so you can make your customs declaration.
The documents you will need in order to clear customs include:
- Work visa
- Photo ID of spouse and transporter
- Copy of Bill of Lading which will need to include a completed Declaration of Value.
- Marriage certificate if spouse has a different name
- 2 copies of personal inventory listing, this will need to include the current value in Canadian dollars.
- Employer’s letter of intent
For a free, no-obligation moving estimate, why not fill out the form on this page to get an idea of what to expect.
5 things you need to know about making the move into Canada
Alero Moving & Storage will do everything we can to make your move as smooth as possible. Here are 5 things you need to keep in mind when making the move to Canada:
- You have to be present when your shipment cleans Canada’s Customs. Your Alero Moving & Storage driver will arrange to meet you at the closest Customs office your address. However, if you are not present to clear the Customs at Canada, your belongings will be “held in bond” until you can clear them.
- Make sure all necessary identification for each family member is current.
- If you choose to pack any boxes yourself, these must be clearly labelled as “Packed by Owner” along with a list of the contents and number of the box on the outside of each carton.
- Always check with customs regarding what you can and cannot bring into the country. Alero Moving & Storage will provide you with a list, however, it’s always good to do a little research yourself. For example, some prohibited items are: explosives, fireworks, ammunition, pyrotechnics, protected wildlife and any goods that may be made from endangered species.
- When packing, or having your items packed, do not include food or drink. This will invariably cause delays in clearing your shipment through Canada’s Customs.
Transporting a motor vehicle from the United States to Canada
Alero Moving & Storage can help you move your car, or motorcycle from America to Canada. To successfully transport your motor vehicle locally, nationally and internationally.
To successfully transport your motor vehicle, you will need to:
- Have a copy of your vehicle’s registration/title and present it to Canada’s Customs no later than 3 days prior to your vehicle entering Canada. The exact documentation you will need varies on which port your vehicle enters Canada from.
- The taxes and duties of the vehicle will need to be assess, and for this it is always a safe bet to contact Canada’s Customs office before you ship or drive your vehicle to Canada.
Making the cross-border move from The United States to Canada
Alero Moving & Storage have been helping individuals, families and businesses move locally, nationally and internationally since 1991. Our full-service moving & storage services can provide with a safe, secure and efficient move no matter how big or small your needs are.
When you work with us for your cross-border moving needs, our expert team will ensure you know what to expect, how much it will cost and how long delivery will take.
Alero Moving & Storage will give you a price guarantee, with no hidden costs or additional extras. Our moving and storage packages come with insurance options to give you peace of mind that your belongings will arrive in the same condition that they were packed in.
Alero Moving & Storage are your trusted cross-border moving service providers
Our team will help you through every step of your cross-border move, and whether your moving needs are big or small—we have you covered.
One thing we always recommend is to do a little research—when you work with Alero Moving & Storage we give you as much information as possible. However, it is always a good idea to check out Canada’s government websites for further information.
If you would like to know more about making the cross-border move from the United States to Canada, please give us a call. Or, alternatively, fill out the form on this page for a free, no-obligation moving estimate.